Prayer- God, open up our hearts today to receive your word for each of us. Help us set aside our worries and fears, and enjoy precious time with you. There is so much to do today, but nothing more important than this time with you. Amen.
Paul and Timothy, servants (slaves) of Christ (Messiah) Jesus,
To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons (those who serve): 2 Grace to you and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Here’s who WE are- just like Paul and Timothy, I am a slave of Messiah (or, as Prof. Wright says, King) Jesus, bought with the incredible currency of his own blood.
- What does it mean for me to be a slave… today, this day in April, 2020? __________________________________________________________________
- What kind of master is King Jesus, who also just happens to be my older brother? ________________________________________________________
- What is the hardest part of being someone else’s slave? _________________________________________________________________________
- How is that different for me today, with King Jesus? _________________________________________________________________________
- Paul is writing to the saints, the elders and “those who serve.”
- Am I one of them today? Why or why not? _________________________________________________________________________
- IF I serve, how do I uniquely do it with MY life? _____________
- Who am I going to communicate with today, like Paul wrote THEM letter? Family? Coworkers? Who is on your heart that needs a word from you? ________________________________
- Paul wishes to all of them “grace and peace,” a common enough greeting, but then he adds who it is from- God our Father and the Master- Jesus, the Messiah.
- How does that change the greeting? _________________________________________________________________________
- What do YOU want for the people in your world today- Peace?Prosperity? Health? A closer walk with God? Make a list of your “today” people. Next to their names- what do you want for each one? And not only do you want those things FOR them, but those things FROM God the Father and Master Jesus, the Messiah.
Prayer– This time is for you and me, Heavenly Father, but today your Word points me to connect with others, especially during this time of pandemic. Who needs a special word from you, a special blessing? As your special servant today, may I administer your grace and peace to others. In the name of Jesus, Amen.